5th October 2012
Google launches a new plugin: The Google Tag Manager
So, what’s it all about?
This new plugin allows people to access and edit all of their website tags in one place.
What is a website tag?
Websites contain a number of tags, which help track user habits through programs like Google Analytics or AdWords Conversion Tracking.
How does the new tag manager work?
Firstly, you add a ‘tag container’ into the coding of your website. Then, by signing into your Google Tag Manager account, you can edit the tags and other information within this section.
What are the benefits?
- The plugin is a free tool which anybody with a Google account can use.
- All of your website’s tags are consolidated into one place and can be edited from a web interface.
- Being able to edit tags in one place is relatively less time consuming than having to edit separate parts of the coding within your website.
- The plugin uses Asynchronous tag loading and allows for the creation of custom rules and macros.
- The tag manager automatically checks for errors and offers a debug console and preview mode.
- It offers easy to use tag templates, and offers both Google and non Google measurement and marketing tags.
Are there any disadvantages?
- There is no current support for Google Analytics E-commerce tracking.
- The plugin is only available in English – other languages coming in the future.
- For those people who already use Analytics and know their way around, there may not be much point in switching to the tag manager.
So, is it worth using?
The new Google Tag Manager could be a great, time saving tool for people who don’t often work with Analytics or the building of websites. Currently, there are a small number of possible aspects missing, but Google have stated that there are more new features to come over the next few months.
If you aren’t comfortable entering tags into the coding of your website or have trouble working with Analytics and similar marketing tracking tools, then the Google Tag Manager could be of benefit.
If, on the other hand, you don’t want to spend time adding the tag manager container into each page of your website, or looking through tracking feedback gives you a headache, then please do not hesitate to contact the professionals at Varn. We offer a range of marketing support and services for a variety of businesses, large and small. Please get in touch for more information.