27th September 2012
Panda 3.9.2 Update: How will it affect you?
Here’s what we know:
- Panda 3.9.2 is another algorithm refresh – Google are tweaking the way in which they process website content and how they rank different websites.
- This update is expected to affect 0.7% of search queries. This small percentage doesn’t mean that this update is insignificant – you should always pay attention to any slight bumps in Google rankings / traffic levels within your website. It could be a harbinger of things to come.
- Google is tightening its rules when it comes to good quality, engaging content within websites.
How to find out whether your website has been negatively affected by the Panda update:
- Compare your traffic statistics – By comparing old and new stats, you will be able to evaluate whether your website traffic has dropped. If you are using Google Analytics, you’ll be able to check out your visitor numbers, keywords and more.
- Check your rankings – You should always make a point of regularly checking your Google rankings. Focusing on your organic SERP’s, you will be able to tell whether the position of you site for key search terms has dropped.
What to do if your website has been negatively affected by the update:
If you think that your website has been punished unfairly, or if you have corrected any faults and would like Google to reconsider your site’s rankings, then you can ask them to restore your SERP’s. This is a process called Google Reconsideration. To do this, you will need to sign in to your Google Webmaster Tool account and then visit the ‘Reconsideration’ page. If you do this correctly, and the site had fallen in rank due to an action taken by the Google Webspam team, then your site could regain any previous rankings.
Please note: If there are any ‘faults’ within your site or any duplicated, irrelevant or poor quality content, you will need to fix these before requesting reconsideration. If you’re unsure as to whether your website contains any of the above, then do not hesitate to contact a professional website company for advice.
It’s not all bad news. The Panda updates, along with a number of others, have proven to be a success for some website owners. By pushing out all of the poor content and badly built websites, Google is increasing the rankings of good quality sites. If you have a well-built website with good, original, relevant content, then you could benefit from such updates. Check your traffic stats and SERP’s – you may be surprised!
What’s next? As many people know, Google will roll out algorithm updates as and when they please. We can’t tell you when the next Panda update will be. Nor can we comment on future Penguin updates or any other animal related algorithm changes. All we can say is that we highly advise that you have your website built or checked through by a professional, trusted website design company. Make sure that your website is build to meet Google’s recommendations and guidelines.
At Varn, we can offer information and advice on any website, regardless of size or purpose. If you’re unsure about your existing website – or would like a new website built following all Google guidelines, then please don’t hesitate to contact us today. We very much look forward to hearing from you.